Yes, potato salad. Nothing special about it. Plenty of dishes called for this potato salad and it was just a given. You only start missing it when you can’t have it. Like when you move to California. They do have decent potato salad there as well. Mayo based. You start wondering why mayo based potato salad is different and can’t tell at first. Until you call your mother and ask how she makes potato salad and she mentions vinegar. Of course, it took me five more years to write down the recipe, since I had to make potato salad on request.
The only problem is the potato selection. Back home an entire vocabulary is build around it: Boils firm, good for potato salad and other secret words. None of them have been translated for me and I have to find out through experimenting. I know the standard red potatoes are just fine for potato salad and Yukon Gold are okay. I’ll conquer the secrets some day.
|Recipe: German Potato Salad||
- 2 pounds potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Boil the potatoes and dice or slice them afterwards.
- Saute the onions until just a bit glassy, don’t let them get brown.
- Fry the bacon and cut or break it into small pieces.
- Mix the dressing: broth, vinegar, oil, mustard, sugar, pepper.
- In a small pot, heat the mixture until boiling and stir it through for a minute.
- Add the onions to the potatoes and poor the dressing on top.
- If vegetarians are around, keep the bacon pieces on the side, otherwise add them.
- Mix everything through.
- Can be served warm or cold.
|Recipe: Cucumber Salad||
- 1 cucumber
- 3 Tbsp vinegar (white, wine or cider)
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Put sugar, dill, salt and pepper into your serving dish.
- Add the vinegar and whisk until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel the and slice the cucumber and add it into the dish.
- Mix the dressing and cucumber and let it marinade for 30 minutes, occasionally mixing